Climate Justice and Jobs Organizer Full Time
If you are a justice-seeker with strengths in Organizing, Faith and/or Climate Justice and want to grow in all areas, we want to hear from you!
POWER (www.powerinterfaith.org) is the largest multi-faith, multiracial, grassroots community organizing network in Pennsylvania. POWER was founded in Philadelphia in 2011 and is comprised of a vast network of member congregations across eastern and central Pennsylvania. POWER brings people together across lines of race, faith, income level and geography to organize for racial and economic justice on a livable planet. POWER is a proud affiliate of the Faith in Action (formerly PICO) National Network (www.faithinaction.org), the largest multi-faith community organizing effort in the country, and POWER SWITCH ACTION (formerly Partnership for Working Families. www.powerswitchaction.org)
Organizer brief job description:
- Organize a deeper base within specific geographic territories, connecting people to work on local and statewide climate justice issues. Through ten to fifteen one on ones each week, small group meetings and participatory educational workshops which we have designed, engage members on topics such as Environmental Racism, Just Transition, Why You Have to Talk About Race to Talk about Climate, and many other integrated justice topics, and build local teams so that they continue engagement with each other and with POWER as together we identify opportunities for exercising power in the public sphere to build a world that works for all. The goal is a climate justice and jobs team in each geographic area of ten-twelve active leaders who are each rooted in a congregation. A big focus is on civic engagement to move our vision forward with communities, candidates and elected leaders.
- Participate in the leadership and organizing of POWER’s Climate Justice and Jobs Phila. and State Coordination Committees, specific POWER Climate Justice campaigns, monthly whole team meetings which gather POWER Climate representatives from across the state. Stay close to POWER’s local and state campaigns, as assigned, to know what opportunities for engagement there are.
- Represent POWER in public and at coalition tables, when needed.
- Document organizing relationships in POWER’s database Every Action and use POWER’s digital engagement civic outreach tools. (Training will be provided)
- Join POWER staff structures such as regular organizing meetings, staff meetings, trainings and retreats, and weekly supervision sessions with the Director of Climate Justice and Jobs. You will be part of a supportive justice community of leaders for change.
- Engage in deepening learning, organizing and leadership development with guidance to
further a unified approach to POWER’s justice mission.
Salary & Benefits:
Salary is $50,000 with excellent benefits package.
Working half-time for up to six months and then moving to fulltime is a possibility if you would prefer that.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis from people with 3 - 10 years experience. Please send excellent cover letter speaking to your involvement, strengths and aspirations as a faith based climate justice organizer along with your resume to JGreenberg@powerinterfaith.org. A two minute video can substitute for a cover letter. No applications will be reviewed without a cover letter or video attached to a resume.
Members of Black, Brown, working class and other under-repr